Thursday, June 25, 2009

Storms

SEVERE Weather storm warning....

THIS IS A DANGEROUS STORM. IF YOU ARE IN ITS PATH...PREPARE IMMEDIATELY FOR DAMAGING WINDS...DESTRUCTIVE HAIL...AND DEADLY CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING. PEOPLE OUTSIDE SHOULD MOVE TO A SHELTER... PREFERABLY INSIDE A STRONG BUILDING BUT AWAY FROM WINDOWS.

We were outside and the wind was really this bad! I was sitting on the porch and the kids were riding bikes.. then suddenly wind, clouds, terrible. I came in and read this weather warning and was glad that we "moved to shelter".

I just hate the wind. I hate it so bad that it makes me nervous. My heart starts to pound just a little, I wonder where the flash lights are in case the power goes out. I start to quickly save all of the work that I am working on. I move all the kids inside. I check on my trees from the window, I check the garbage can, the tramp, the basketball hoop and the door mat. I don't think that I would go out in the wind if something was happening, so I am unsure why I feel compelled to check them.

I was thinking today, why I hate the wind with such a passion. I began thinking about growing up in Centerville. The house that we lived in was old. The walls and floors made creaking noises. The wind would blow against the panes of the windows as if the windows were going to break into two, the 100+ year old trees would start to blow (luckily they were strong) and the sound of the trees blowing was soothing, yet very frightening. There was also a story that the chimney fell in with a strong wind storm. One time the wind was blowing and we were watching out the window and one of the power lines broke. It was like fireworks being thrown at our house. It was really scary. I think we went to a hotel and stayed the night until the power company came and fixed the problem. There are many times that I can think of that the wind was scary.... sometimes, my parents weren't home (they owned a restaurant and my sister would watch us) and I remember the wind would start and we would just turn on a Disney move, sing to it and hope that we could fall asleep.

On a lighter note... There was one time that we were raking the leaves and we would fill garbage bags up with leaves and would take bags of the leaves and dump them down the street so they would blow away. I don't think we had any leaves that year to put in the trash pile. I wonder what the neighbors thought about that.

I guess I have some reason to hate the wind. I just hope that my fear doesn't pass on to my children.... I must be BRAVE!!!!




A few funny pictures attached for your enjoyment....



THEN...







NOW ...

2 comments:

Patti :) said...

We were outside in that same storm yesterday-it came out of no where!
PS-lookin good in those pics-lol we have pictures that look almost exactly like those ones, even infront of the same fireplace (Minus a little brother he he)

Farnsworth Fam said...

I too worry about things blowing away. I don't know that I would go chase anything down either, but I still keep a close eye on our belongings.
But I still love storms.